On January 19, 2015, volunteers from all over metro Atlanta honored the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by serving immigrants and refugees! The Lutheran MLK Day of Service was a huge success. Here's the breakdown:
218 individual volunteers came out to serve from 14 volunteer groups and congregations, including:
- Generation On/Mark It Up Leadership Team
- St. Stephen Lutheran Church, Decatur
- Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Atlanta
- St. John's Lutheran Church, Atlanta
- Blessed Assurance Church of God in Christ (COGIC)
- CD Owens District (COGIC) Youth Department
- Cross of Life Lutheran Church, Roswell
- Christ the King Lutheran Church, Peachtree Corners
- Atlanta University Center Lutheran Campus Ministry
- Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Atlanta
- Candler School of Theology/Emory University
- Girl Scout Troup 13491
- Rock of Ages Lutheran Church
- Helping Mamas
The Lutheran MLK Day of Service received many generous donations, including:
- Over 3600 pounds of rice packaged as "welcome food" for refugee families
- 10 boxes of gently used children's books donated to children in the Clarkston refugee community
- Clothing, diapers, strollers, and Pack 'n Plays for 30 refugee families with babies and young children, donated by Helping Mamas.
Volunteers participated in several service projects:
- Volunteers packaged rice into family-sized bags of "welcome food" for newly arrived refugee families.
- Volunteers read books to children in daycare in Clarkston's refuge community.
- Volunteers sorted children's books to be distributed to children in Clarkston's daycare centers and schools.
- Volunteers wrote letters of compassionate support to 13 immigrants in detention centers across Georgia.
LSG would like to thank all 218 of our generous volunteers for coming out and serving with us. A special thanks goes out to:
- Gene Lewis--Lutheran MLK Day of Service event organizer
- Our Event Co-Sponsors: Southeastern Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America; Lutheran Theological Center in Atlanta; and the Women of the ELCA
- Rock of Ages Lutheran Church for donating their space and 1000 pounds of rice
- Helping Mamas, for collecting, sorting, and donating clothing, diapers, strollers, and Pack 'n Plays for refugee children
- LSG staff who helped organize and lead the event