Lutheran Services of Georgia's Statement on the Executive Orders affecting refugee resettlement.
LSG’s Refugee Services assists thousands of refugees each year on the path to citizenship. RIS aims to help refugees achieve economic self-sufficiency, integrate successfully into their new communities and country, and strive for citizenship. We are a Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services (LIRS) affiliate.
LSG provides services to newly arrived refugees to help them become economically self-sufficient, socially integrated, and culturally acclimated. One of the most important steps for our refugee clients is obtaining their first job in the United States.
Refugee Services are offered at the following locations:
In order to fulfill our mission of helping refugees find home, we offer the following refugee services in Atlanta:
- Resettlement: Intensive services include providing for the day-to-day needs of newly arrived refugees: an apartment, food, health screenings, orientation, legal documents, and school registration for children.
- Social Adjustment: Extended case management services to assist families with home management, accessing medical care, and emergency situations.
- Extended Cultural Orientation*: Cultural orientation to recently arrived refugees. Topics include transportation, home management, healthcare, computer skills, and employment.
- Employment: Orients newcomers to the American workplace. Offers employment counseling, job placement services, and post-employment follow-up.
- Matching Grant: Additional support empowers refugees to quickly find a job and reach early self-sufficiency. Through intensive employment services, matching grant provides refugees with an alternative to public assistance.
- LSG Kids Club: RIS’s newest program, a day camp format for refugee children during school breaks. Includes therapeutic components along with field trips and fun activities aimed at helping children process their migration experiences and learn about life in the United States.
- Immigration: RIS offers immigration services aimed at helping refugees and low-income immigrants with immigration needs from arrival through naturalization.
- Detention Visitation and Pen Pals: LSG's Friends in Hope volunteers bring hope, compassion, and friendship to detainees in immigrant detention centers through visits and letters.
We also offer these refugee services in Savannah:
- Social Adjustment
- Cultural Orientation
How You Can Help
Refugee Services relies on the dedicated support of our numerous volunteers and other supporters. Find out more about how you can help by volunteering, donating household items and furniture for refugee apartments, employing a refugee, or hosting a fundraising event.
*ECO is funded in part by a generous grant from Wheat Ridge Ministries. Wheat Ridge Ministries provides start-up funding and resources to inspired leaders in congregations and nonprofit organizations beginning new and innovative human care initiatives. They focus on improving wellness of body, mind and spirit for individuals and communities. Currently, more than 70 Lutheran-affiliated ministries around the world are receiving assistance through Wheat Ridge. To learn more, please visit www.wheatridge.org.