Our volunteers are an integral, valuable part of what makes our work possible. We have volunteer options for individuals and groups that meet a wide variety of needs, so our volunteers are able to find rewarding experiences no matter what their area of interest. We have many hands-on opportunities that allow volunteers to work directly with the people we help, as well as administrative support roles that are equally valuable.
LSG provides all volunteers with orientation and training and conducts background screening for volunteers who work directly with agency clients or sensitive information before placement as a volunteer
Please check out the various opportunities below, and reach out to us to start volunteering!
Program volunteers work directly with the people that LSG serves, tutoring, mentoring and befriending. For specific opportunities within each of our program areas, click the photo below.
Volunteers support LSG by participating in special service projects and events like:
- “Rice for Refugees” project on the Lutheran MLK Day of Service (January)
- Walk for LSG in the annual Hunger Walk/Run (March)
- Help at the Atlanta Golf (May) and Savannah Golf (October) tournaments
- Attend and bring friends to LSG fundraising events
- Purchase gifts for a refugee family, foster care or FACES client, through the LSG Hope Tree (December)
Volunteering with a Group
Volunteer Opportunities for Groups
Volunteers collect donations for refugee families and youth and family permanency:
- Furniture and household items
- Backpacks filled with school supplies
- Clothing (especially infant, children’s and small/medium adult sizes)
- Diapers and baby accessories
- Hygiene kits
- Welcome food baskets
Statewide Opportunities for Volunteer Groups
Volunteer group hosts a “Housewarming Party” for a refugee family apartment. Items from the LSG Wish List for furnishing a refugee apartment are donated by party-goers who also learn about the needs of refugees and have a great time together!
“Child Shower” Parties are hosted by a group when a child in foster care is adopted. Party-goers learn about the needs of children in foster care and celebrate when they find a forever family through adoption.
Customized Group Project
LSG can customize a service project for volunteer groups from congregations, schools, businesses, and community organizations throughout the region we serve. We have groups that serve with LSG for a few hours, for a day, or for a week at a time.
For more information about group projects, please email Melissa Pinsky.